How can I improve my Norwegian vocabulary?
Whether you are trying to strengthen and broaden your vocabulary for work, school or personal growth, the key is a commitment to regularly learning new words. We all dream about going to sleep with a book under the pillow and waking up speaking the language fluent. But nope, it will cost us a bit of energy and time. Structure and consistency is the key.
We have some tips to help you start learning new vocabulary words:
1. Read, read, and read. Develop a reading habit. Start with reading titles of Norwegian newspapers, Read some easy books
2. Change the language of your phone and social media accounts. You will be able to learn new words and stop yourself from thinking in your mother tounge. Change your computer’s default language too.
3. Record Yourself – It may sound insane to record your voice and talk to yourself. However, this is a powerful technique which helps you to become more confident in speaking. This is an effective way to develop your pronunciation skills. If you keep your voice recordings, you can compare your progress after some time.
4. Listen to Norwegian music (or podcasts), Memorize lyrics to songs and then sing them along all day long!
5. Watch TV shows or movies (with subtitles)
6. Write a Journal – Use the dictionary and thesaurus to describe your daily activities. This is a great way to improve your everyday vocabulary.
7. Play word games with your friends, its fun and you learn faster when you enjoy the activity.
8. Use flashcards. Post-it Notes are your friend too.
9. Practice using new words in conversation. Simply talking with other people can help you also learn new words
10. Stop hanging out only with your countrymen. Talk to native speakers.
The last but not least is a language coaching by a specialist. Whenever you want to really take your Norwegian to a higher professional level – take a special courses like Norwegian Grammar or Courses for professionals.
Sometimes you do not need many hours, few meetings with our language coach will help you to establish learning plan and take you to higher level of proficiency in Norwegian.
And how do you learn new vocabulary? Let us know in the comment section.